Baked Eggplant with Fontina Cheese
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 4 small eggplants
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 lb Italian fontina cheese, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove stems from eggplant and discard. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Make small crisscross cuts, about 1/2-inch deep into each cut side.
- Mince garlic and basil; place in small bowl. Season with salt, pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil. Insert cheese pieces into cuts of the eggplant; spread garlic mixture over top.
- In large baking dish, place eggplant in single layer; drizzle with remaining olive oil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until eggplant are nicely browned and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Recipe provided by Chef Mary Ann Esposito