Almond Brunch Cake
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 1 hr
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pkg (7 oz) almond paste, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch spring-form pan with oil. In bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, process almond paste until finely ground. Add sugar and almond extract; process until combined. With machine running, drizzle oil through feed tube; process until smooth. Add eggs; process until smooth.
- Add flour mixture in three additions and milk in two additions, starting and ending with flour mixture, pulsing just to combine after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the cake is lightly browned and tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool. Sprinkle with icing sugar; serve warm or at room temperature.
• Serve the cake with lightly sugared seasonal cut fruit.
• Almond paste, a stiff mixture of ground almonds and sugar, is sold in the baking section of supermarkets. Do not replace it with almond filling, which is a much softer, sweeter mixture.
Recipe Provided by Chef Sharon Sanders