Sweet Potato Hummus
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 1 large sweet potato (about ¾ lb.), halved lengthwise
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup)
- 3 Tbs. tahini
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt; more to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ cup Filippo Berio Delicato Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch of Aleppo pepper
- Pierce the skin side of the sweet potato a handful of times with a fork and then place on a large plate. Microwave on high until the sweet potato is completely tender and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Flip the sweet potato over and let cool to room temperature.
- Scoop the sweet potato flesh into a food processor along with the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, and spices. With the motor running, add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream and then add water, 1 Tbs. at a time, until the mixture is smooth.
- Season the hummus with more salt and Aleppo pepper to taste, drizzle with olive oil, and serve; or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Here, a microwave “roasts” the sweet potato quickly and easily. Then, the soft flesh is puréed with hummus mainstays–chickpeas, tahini, and garlic–for a spread that is at once sweet and savory.