Pesto Stuffed Burger
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 35 min
- 1/2 lb each ground pork, beef and veal
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp grated onion
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp smoked sweet or hot paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 frozen Basil Garlic Pesto Pucks (see tip below)
- 4 cubes Fontina cheese (1/2-inch cubes)
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 1 cup arugula
- 3 jarred roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/4 cup prepared aioli sauce or mayonnaise
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well. Mix together pork, beef, veal, egg, bread crumbs, onion, mustard, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Divide into 8 balls; flatten into 1/4-inch thick patties. Sandwich 1 pesto puck and 1 cheese cube between 2 patties; pinch and seal to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining patties, pesto pucks and cheese.
- Grill burgers for about 7 minutes per side or until well marked and meat reaches internal temperature of 160°F. Brush buns with oil; grill for about 1 minute or until lightly toasted. Rub with cut garlic.
- Assemble burgers in buns with arugula, roasted red peppers and aioli sauce.
HOW TO/TIP/SMARTCUT: How to make Basil Garlic Pesto Pucks:
• In food processor, combine 3 cups packed fresh basil leaves, 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Olive Oil, 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts, 4 chopped garlic cloves, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper; pulse until smooth. Line a mini muffin tin with paper liners; divide pesto evenly among liners. Freeze for 4 to 6 hours or until firm. Pop out pucks; place in resealable plastic bag. Freeze until ready to use to add flavor to soups, sauces and pasta.