Casareccia Pasta with Chickpeas, Kale, and Herbs
Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: 18 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 1/2 cup finely diced pancetta
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 red onion, julienned
- 8 oz kale, stems removed, leaves julienned
- 1 tsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tsp fresh chopped sage
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup small tomatoes, quartered
- 1 lb casarecce, radiatori or other similarly shaped pasta
- 2 tbsp grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- Cook pancetta in sauté pan until browned but not too crispy; drain on paper towel–lined plate.
- Warm olive oil in large sauté pan set over medium heat. Stir in onion; cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Toss in kale, thyme, sage and garlic; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, pancetta, and salt to taste; reduce heat to low.
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain well; stir into chickpea mixture in sauté pan. Toss over medium-low heat for about 3 minutes or until pasta has soaked up most of the sauce but is still very moist. Divide among bowls; sprinkle with Pecorino-Romano.
Recipe Provided by Chef Sharon Sanders