Beans, Greens, and Sausage Soup
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 12 oz mild or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 3 cans (15 1/2 oz each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (14 1/2 oz each) chicken broth
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1 bag (6 oz) baby spinach, stems removed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Crumble sausage into large saucepan. Add 2 tbsp cold water; cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, for 3 minutes or until browned. Remove with slotted spoon; set aside. Pour off and discard any drippings.
- Add oil; heat until warm. Add garlic and sage; cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add beans; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and 4 cups water. Increase heat to high and bring just to boil, scraping up browned bits at the bottom of saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover partially and simmer for 15 minutes. In blender or food processor, purée half of the beans and enough broth to cover. Return to saucepan; add macaroni and reserved sausage. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until macaroni is al dente. Stir in spinach, vinegar, salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with Pecorino Romano.
Recipe Provided by Chef Sharon Sanders